Posted in Law

Why You May Not Be Eligible For A Marriage Green Card

Why You May Not Be Eligible For A Marriage Green Card Posted on October 15, 2022

If you are in a marriage that is legally recognized in the United States, then you may be eligible for a marriage green card. Marriage green card eligibility is based on a couple’s relationship to each other, and not on whether or not they are of the same race or nationality. However, if you are unable to demonstrate lawful permanent resident status in the United States, or if your marriage is considered invalid by the government, then you may be denied a marriage green card. This blog provides information on how a marriage green card is determined, as well as remedies if your marriage is denied. So whether you’re planning to get married in the near future or have already tied the knot, this blog will shed some light on the process and potential roadblocks that you may face.

How is a marriage green card determined?

If you’re looking to get married and live in the U.S., you may not be eligible for a marriage green card. In order to be granted one, you and your spouse must first meet certain eligibility requirements. The two most important factors are whether the spouse is able to provide a stable home for the U.S.-citizen spouse and whether the marriage was entered into in good faith (i.e., without any fraudulent activity). If either of these criteria aren’t met, you may still be eligible if you can show that your relationship has been stable for at least two years or that your marriage was entered into under “exceptional circumstances.” If you’re still unsure whether you qualify, or need more information, please contact an immigration lawyer or visit our website at

remedies if a marriage is denied a marriage green card

If you’re in a relationship and want to get married, but you’re not sure if you’re eligible for a marriage green card, don’t worry. There are many possible remedies available, and it’s important to speak with an experienced immigration attorney about your specific situation. Whatever remedy is chosen, it’s important to understand the implications of that decision so that you can make an informed decision. For example, if an application for a marriage green card is denied, there are many possible remedies available. Some applicants may be able to get a waiver of the requirement if they can provide extraordinary reasons why they need a marriage license. So whatever the case may be, don’t hesitate to get in touch with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you navigate the process and find the best solution for your specific situation.

What if I am already in a relationship?

If you are already in a relationship, your green card application may still be successful. However, factors that will affect your eligibility for the marriage-based visa include: The length of your relationship and whether it is a stable one; Your current income and financial stability; Whether you have joint responsibility for financially supporting each other. Therefore, it is always important to consult an immigration attorney to understand your specific visa application case and review all the relevant documentation.

Can my current partner sponsor me for a marriage green card?

If your current partner is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, then you may still file jointly if you can demonstrate that you have met all of the eligibility requirements. This means that you must be legally married at the time of filing for a marriage-based green card, and both partners must meet all of the eligibility requirements, including being 18 years or older, not currently an illegal resident, engaging in a fulltime qualifying relationship with each other throughout the entire period of residence in the United States preceding application for residency, and having continuous cohabitation since their last meeting or ceasing to live together within 90 days prior to filing for residency. Generally speaking, marriage-based green cards are granted to spouses of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who are living together in a valid marital relationship as defined by federal law.

How long will it take to process my application?

There is no single answer to this question as it can depend on a number of factors, such as the status of your application, whether you are applying as an unmarried minor, a foreign national in a nonimmigrant status, or an entrepreneur. Typically, processing times for marriage green card applications can vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for. For instance, applications for fiancé(e) visas or marriage-based green card holder visa categories (such as H-1B) may take longer to process than applications for other visa types. If you are married to your U.S. citizen spouse and meet all other eligibility requirements, the application process will generally take six months or less. However, please note that processing times can sometimes be slower in certain cases due to higher demand.

What are the requirements for a marriage green card?

The requirements for a marriage green card include being a lawful permanent resident of the United States, being in a valid marriage at the time of filing for adjustment of status, and having no criminal history. Additionally, you and your spouse will have to meet all of the requirements set by US Immigration. This means that you must be able to support your spouse if they were to move with you to the US. However, this does not mean that you have to have a large bank account or be rich. All that is required is genuine love and commitment to one another.


If you are in a relationship with a U.S. citizen and you would like to apply for a marriage green card, you may be wondering if you are eligible. Unfortunately, there are a few factors that can affect your eligibility, so it is important to consult with an immigration lawyer. If your marriage is denied, don’t give up hope – there are many remedies available to you, so don’t lose hope. Make sure to research your eligibility status and consult with an immigration lawyer before filing your application. We hope this blog was of some help!